Saturday, May 29, 2010

A FEW MORE REVIEWS...

Dead End Path - Demo 2009
Alright, I saw these dudes @ the House of Hardcore not too long ago and I thought they were pretty decent. I had never heard of them before but apparently they have a slight hype thing going on. Seriously where does that come from? I dunno. This band features the CLASSIC overweight vocalist which is just so rare these days, awesome to see it come back in any way. First of all this recording is AWESOME for a demo, I'm glad some bands are putting some effort into their demos out there. This is heavy hardcore with a metal tinge, SLIGHTLY Integrity-ish. First track is a heavy little stomper. On the 2nd song the drummer decided he really wanted to try out his new hi-hats I guess. Another heavy one, duh. Next song starts with an incredibly simple riff that leads into the song. This one fades out...which is a little confusing. Last song on the demo starts out with the goddamn guest vocals. According to my tracklisting here it's Alex Russin, guitar player of Cold World among others. These vocals suck. The real singer comes in and the songs starts kickin in a little better. Ok so this is a pretty solid demo and it's really not that bad at all, I'd say check it out. Like I said these dudes are minorly hyped at the moment, so get into them now before they sign to *insert hc label here* and start touring and playing your town once every 2 months and you get tired of them.

Dominos NEW pizza
Is this some kinda joke? Dominos has a NEW pizza with new ingredients. No one really cares, sorry Dom's. It's a goddamn pizza chain, it's not Coca Cola. Drunk dudes and soccer moms order this shit when they cant think of anything else to eat. Overall this pizza is pretty generic, much like it's previous version. Go eat at a real pizzeria instead.

Blacklines/In Regret split
Ok, first of of all let me just say I have no physical copy of this nor do I have lyrics, so I'm dealin with what I got on this particular review. I usually can't really say how I truly feel about a record until I let it sit for a while after plenty of listens. But hey that's now how Slightly Jaded works, we're goin on first impressions! I literally know every single dude in both of these bands so if I shit talk it they might kick my ass or put their collective money in to hire someone to do so. First reaction to this...the cover art is pretty decent, especially for what i'm pretty sure is both bands first real release. I do however miss the days of splits with "VS." in them. So this should've been called BLACKLINES VS. IN REGRET. Lets see who wins! Charleston, SC's Blacklines starts out the split with track 1. It's called 'He Pushes Through', which sounds very christian hardcore to me, but I'm pretty sure it's not at all. The recording here is pretty standard with a tinny snare drum sound that takes me back to some memories of wacky 90's core. This song (and band overall really) are very Modern Life Is War-ish, so if you're into shit like that and The Carrier or whatever, you'd probably be into Blacklines. This is your slower, build-up-to-an-ending intro type of song. Maybe a little soft for my tastes? Well, track 2 'Black Gold' kicks in with a little more ferocity and speed and sort of reminds me of Bars or a band like that. The little build up to the mosh and ultimately the mosh itself ain't too bad, I'm sure the kiddies love it and will ya know...do their thing. The next and last song from Blacklines is called 'Impact' and no, it's not the Chain of Strength tune. Instead it's more along the lines of the previous song I just mentioned. Oh wow Brad from In Regret just came out of fuckin nowhere with some guest vocals on this song and scared the shit out of me. Lemme just say...sometimes guest vocals, although cool and all...they just don't fit. And not because of any other reason than the fact that the 2 vocalists voices are so different. You see Dennis from Blacklines here has more of a throaty gutteral tone to his voice, and Brad is more of a "I want to blow my voice out and pop one of my eyeballs" type of voice. Ya see? Totally different. Ok now In Regrets gonna jam. Luckily the recordings here seem pretty similar so that's always good for a split. This one starts out all beautiful and emo-ish. Guitarist Steve Zimovan must've been sitting in a flower garden with an acoustic when he thought that one up. This first In Regret song is similar to the first Blacklines song, ya know...slower intro type song. The next song is called 'Desert Skies'. It's the classic melodic hardcore we've come to know this past decade. It's got the mosh part in the middle so the kiddies pay attention, then it slows down a little so the spinkicking lunatic goons can get some time on the floor. Then I believe we have some more guest vocals, and you know how I feel about that...but I will say they seem to flow a little better here. You think this song is pulling off the epic melodic hardcore ending but then it instead goes right into the epic melodic hardcore singalong with some funky guitar work. Last song from In Regret is the hardest. Oh shit, now it's the angry mosh part thingy. Some more guest vocals here too. Maybe you're not ready for it yet, but your kids are gonna love it. Spinkickey part is at the end, featuring more funky guitar work. Yes, I realize I'm reviewing this like a douchebag. Anyways, that's about it. 2 pretty similar bands music-wise and a good effort. If you like melodic style hardcore then by all means go pick this record up. That's it. Oh yeah and one more thing, a message to In Regret: Please stop covering Charge The Mound or I will piss on you. check out downsiderecords.com and pick it up.

That's all I've got in me for right now. More shit comin soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment